No worries, CLEG is not becoming ALEG, but I find this project really cool, and on top of it it will be presented in Cairo as well later in the year. In the meantime from October 10, 2012 (see below) everybody can follow the project developments thanks to our beloved internet.
Perhaps a "Cairo Streets Project" in the future?
The „Alexandria Streets Project“ is an audio art project for and about public places in Alexandria (Egypt). The city's past, present and future are explored and connected acoustically in twenty short audio pieces (arabic/english) about things invisible today: recent political events, historical structures and forgotten encounters as well as stories not yet written. A unique sonic map of Alexandria will be created through interviews, found footage, personal archives and field recordings.
The „Alexandria Streets Project“ can be downloaded from the project's website and will be broadcast through independent radio stations.
The „Mini Radio Academy“ is another part of the project. The three-day-event will take place in Alexandria and comprises nine workshops. These workshops will be directed by renowned independent Egyptian journalists, young radio makers, and cultural activists. Registration required, admission free.
This is the project's programme:
- 10 October 2012 Launch of project website www.alexandria-streets-project.net
- 18-20 October 2012 „Mini Radio Academy“ in cooperation with Radio Tram and Agora (Alexandria), at Goethe Institut Alexandria (Alexandria)
- 18 November 2012 Pre-Launch of the „Alexandria Streets Project“ in cooperation with Radio Tram and Spring Lessons, at Theater Aufbau Kreuzberg tak (Berlin)
- 22 November 2012 Workshop in the framework of the exhibition Right-To-Left, in cooperation with uqbar e.V., at Kunstquartier Bethanien (Berlin)
- 29 November 2012 Project Launch Event in public space: 20 audio pieces for walkers in Alexandria, location tba
- 2 December 2012 Presentation of the „Alexandria Streets Project“ in Cairo, location tba
For further information please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The „Alexandria Streets Project“ is organised by: west-östlicher diwan e.V. / arts programme (Berlin)
Curated and directed by: Berit Schuck and Julia Tieke
In collaboration with: Radio Tram (Alexandria)
Other cooperation partners: Agora (Alexandria), Goethe Institut Alexandria (Alexandria), Spring Lessons at tak (Berlin/International), uqbar e.V. (Berlin)
The „Alexandria Streets Project“ is supported by: Auswärtiges Amt (German Federal Foreign Office) / ifa, Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen (Institute for Foreign Cultural Relations)